Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Could you please help me with the following in bold?

1. Try as any company might, there are no simple and clean divisions between personal and work lives, and it is impossible for people to pretend they live in two entirely separate worlds. Because we always wanted whole people working at P&G, we extended our social range beyond employees to family members, and welcomed those who wished to participate in this larger community.

Please find another expression for "social range."

2. Ed was a role model for me and countless others. He embodied character and integrity. No one has spoken more eloquently to the need for principled actions, yet he was as practical and straightforward in his thinking as they come. He was a source of enormous inspiration to me.

What does "they" refer to, and what does the sentence mean?

Thank you.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Could you please help me with the following in bold?

1. Try as any company might, there are no simple and clean divisions between personal and work lives, and it is impossible for people to pretend they live in two entirely separate worlds. Because we always wanted whole people working at P&G, we extended our social range beyond employees to family members, and welcomed those who wished to participate in this larger community.

Please find another expression for "social range." "hospitality" / "welcome". It would be better rephrased as " we included our employees' families in our social activities..."

2. Ed was a role model for me and countless others. He embodied character and integrity. No one has spoken more eloquently to the need for principled actions, yet he was as practical and straightforward in his thinking as they come. He was a source of enormous inspiration to me.

What does "they" refer to, and what does the sentence mean? "as they come" > idiomatic phrase = as anyone else.

Thank you.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "as they come" an idiomatic expression? My God! It's been a big trouble to me for several days. At first it seemed easy and simple. Yet the more I saw it, the more confused I became.

Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.