Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1.It is the third time that she has won the race,which has surprised us all.why can't I say ...which surprises us all?
2.Is there any differences between Everyone in the village is very friendly.It doesn't matter whether you have lived there for a short or a long time.and ...whether you live there for...?
3.Why shouldn't I say A bank is the place where it lends you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it when it begins to rain. but...where they lend you...?
All the answers above are provided exclusively in the Standardized test.
Thanks for your answer!!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
All three standardized test answers are correct.

1. "Which surprises us all" might be better in some circumstances. Given that she has won twice before, there is serious doubt as to why anybody should be surprised by her third victory. There must be some missing context, without which we cannot decide whether the past simple or the past perfect is better.

2. The statement "it doesn't matter whether" refers to a condition precedent, in other words a condition that occurred in the past. That's why the past perfect is required here.

3. The place does not lend you the umbrella. It is the bankers who work there who do so.

hermann7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thank you very much!!
one more question:if I say "it doesn't matter whether...",do I just refer to a past condition only?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It doesn't matter can take past, present and future tenses. Please don't post thank you notes. Just hit the like button.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.