Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Brazil
can I use some with singular countable words? 8)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sometimes; you'll hear 'That was some game', which means that it was an excellent or extraordinary game.;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
carla guaraldi said:
can I use some with singular countable words? 8)

In addition to what TDOL said, one can use some with a singular noun to mean "unspecified" or "unknown".

Some man just called.
Some dog killed our cat.

:wink:

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Brazil
can I have some grape? can I take some orange? Are those wrong?????
Should I say can I have some grapes ? Thanks for the two answers you have already given me. :shock:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
carla guaraldi said:
can I have some grape? can I take some orange? Are those wrong?????
Should I say can I have some grapes ? Thanks for the two answers you have already given me. :shock:

Those would be wrong if you mean the fruit.

You could say "Can I have some grape/orange" if you were offered a choice of several juices/sodas, but you would really be saying "some grape/orange juice/soda, even if you didn't say the last word. :wink:

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Brazil
You said they would be wrong if I meant the fruit, Could you give me an example of some related to grape , apple, banana? because it sounds strange to say can I have some bananas? It sounds like I want more than one... I would like an example of some with a singular countable noun, the examples you gave me sound like exception to the rule,
I was studying the uses of any for plural countable nouns and uncountable do I have to apply these rules to some????

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
carla guaraldi said:
You said they would be wrong if I meant the fruit, Could you give me an example of some related to grape , apple, banana? because it sounds strange to say can I have some bananas? It sounds like I want more than one... I would like an example of some with a singular countable noun, the examples you gave me sound like exception to the rule,
I was studying the uses of any for plural countable nouns and uncountable do I have to apply these rules to some????

Yes, if you say "some bananas" you are asking for more than one. If you want one banana, ask for one banana or a banana. My examples were exceptions. It sounded as if that was what you wanted. When we use countable nouns, we use one" or "a" for the singular.

Status
Not open for further replies.