someone/them

Status
Not open for further replies.

bread

The dictionary says that "fall out" means "to argue with someone and stop being friendly with them".

Why don't we say him/her instead of them?
Doesn't someone mean only one person?

By the way, should I put the period before the close quotation mark?

Thanks! :eek:

bread

The dictionary says that "fall out" means "to argue with someone and stop being friendly with them".

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many use 'them' for a single person when we don't know whether it is a man or a woman. Some use 'him' and other 'him or her'. It's a matter of preference. I'd use 'them' in that example.;-)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many use 'them' for a single person when we don't know whether it is a man or a woman. Some use 'him' and other 'him or her'. It's a matter of preference. I'd use 'them' in that example.;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bread said:

Hmmm. Which dictionary?

There are differing opinions about using a plural pronoun in a singular use when the gender is unknown. It is widely accepted in informal English, but I am surprised that you found it in a dictionary. I would have used "that person" in that sentence.

The enclosure of periods in quotation marks is also debatable. I would accept you sentence as is. Others in AE would insist that all periods must go inside quotation marks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bread said:

Hmmm. Which dictionary?

There are differing opinions about using a plural pronoun in a singular use when the gender is unknown. It is widely accepted in informal English, but I am surprised that you found it in a dictionary. I would have used "that person" in that sentence.

The enclosure of periods in quotation marks is also debatable. I would accept you sentence as is. Others in AE would insist that all periods must go inside quotation marks.

bread

MikeNewYork said:
bread said:

Hmmm. Which dictionary?

it's a Cambridge dictionary... :(

Thanks!

bread

MikeNewYork said:
bread said:

Hmmm. Which dictionary?

Thanks!

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The punctuation is different in this area. In British English, we put punctuation outside if it seems to belong to the sentence not the quote, as here. Cambridge is, of course, a British dictionary. ;-)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The punctuation is different in this area. In British English, we put punctuation outside if it seems to belong to the sentence not the quote, as here. Cambridge is, of course, a British dictionary. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bread said:
MikeNewYork said:
bread said:

Hmmm. Which dictionary?

Thanks!

Ah! OK. Cambridge is a good company. Some its resources lean toward the informal. :wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bread said:
MikeNewYork said:
bread said:

Hmmm. Which dictionary?

Thanks!

Ah! OK. Cambridge is a good company. Some its resources lean toward the informal. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.