Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

Sometimes I'm not sure whether to use the Present Perfect Continuous or the Present Continuous, as in the following paragraph:
During the last years the Israeli media has been publishing [1] news about some dozens Sudanese who have illegitimately entered Israel through the Egyptian border. There are no precise numbers of Sudanese who are already staying [2] illegitimately in Israel.
Did I use the tenses correctly? I'd appreciate your help.

corum

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I would rethink (1). Why do you not google the uses of the tenses and come up with an argument in favour of one or the other or both? Come back with your principled argument and volunteers will help you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sometimes I'm not sure whether to use the Present Perfect Continuous or the Present Continuous, as in the following paragraph:
During the last years the Israeli media has been publishing [1] news about some dozens Sudanese who have illegitimately entered Israel through the Egyptian border. There are no precise numbers of Sudanese who are already staying [2] illegitimately in Israel.
Did I use the tenses correctly? I'd appreciate your help.
"the last years" is not an English phrase. You need something like "the last few years".
If the Israeli media is still publishing such articles, you can use the tense you've chosen. This means they started a few years ago, and are still doing it. My preference would be:
"For/In the last few years, the Israeli media has been publishing articles about ... "

Status
Not open for further replies.