Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
I don't understand "to have" in sentence below, Can't we write that without "to have", please?
I'm sorry to have to say this.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand "to have" in the sentence below, Can't we write that without "to have", please?

No, and if you could it wouldn't mean the same thing.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand "to have" in the below sentence. [strike]below,[/strike] Can [strike]'t[/strike] we write it [strike]that[/strike] without "to have", please?
In this usage, "to have to" means to be required to. The speaker finds it necessary to say something which s/he would rather not have to say.

At this stage in your learning, you shouldn't phrase questions in the negative. Just write Can we do whatever you're asking about. Can't we write it without "to have"? means "I would really prefer to write it without "to have"; is that possible?"

moseen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
In this usage, "to have to" means to be required to. The speaker finds it necessary to say something which s/he would rather not have to say.

At this stage in your learning, you shouldn't phrase questions in the negative. Just write Can we do whatever you're asking about. Can't we write it without "to have"? means "I would really prefer to write it without "to have"; is that possible?"
Oh, I am sorry. You always teach me this "you shouldn't phrase questions in the negative.", but I always forget it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, I am sorry. You always teach me this "you shouldn't phrase questions in the negative.", but I always forget it.
It makes me think that negative phrasing is typical in Persian interrogative sentences. Don't worry about repeating a mistake here and there; it's normal in language learning.

moseen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Yes, I always ask more questions as negative in Persian , but I think something you said is completely correct for Persia, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.