still confused #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wendy

Guest
A "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their prime."

B "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, partying way past their prime."

C "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys still partying way past their prime."

D "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, still partying way past their prime."



1. So ALL the four sentences mean the same that the older guys are still partying past their prime, right???


2. I think sentence C. is strange for me because it doesn't have comma between guys and still, I'm right or wrong?, The comma is important or not???


3. Is sentence C the same as sentence D???
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wendy said:
A "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their prime."

B "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, partying way past their prime."

C "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys still partying way past their prime."

D "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, still partying way past their prime."



1. So ALL the four sentences mean the same that the older guys are still partying past their prime, right???


2. I think sentence C. is strange for me because it doesn't have comma between guys and still, I'm right or wrong?, The comma is important or not???


3. Is sentence C the same as sentence D???

1. Yes.

2. I prefer the comma, but it isn't essential. Try speaking the sentences in sequence. Pause slightly when you reach the comma in D. The comma adds a small effect. It seems to emphasize the sadness of it all.

3. Yes, the ultimate meaning is the same.
 
W

wendy

Guest
I don't understand All these older guys, partying way past their prime. It is A or B


A the older guys are still partying past their prime

B the older guys who are still partying past their prime
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wendy said:
I don't understand All these older guys, partying way past their prime. It is A or B


A the older guys are still partying past their prime

B the older guys who are still partying past their prime

It is definitely B.

It could be A if they have done this before, but we don't know that. :wink:
 
W

wendy

Guest
Tdol said:
It depends on how you see the two parts connecting. They are two sentences that work together and they can be bridged in different ways:

It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.


I don't understand what Tdol means. Does He gives me two choices or what???

"It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
prime."

what does it mean?I don't get it?

a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wendy said:
Tdol said:
It depends on how you see the two parts connecting. They are two sentences that work together and they can be bridged in different ways:

It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.


I don't understand what Tdol means. Does He gives me two choices or what???

so "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
prime."

what does it mean?I don't get it?

a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.

Yes, he was giving you choices.

It's sad that all these guys are partying way past their prime.
It's sad, isn't it? All these guys are partying way past their prime.
It's sad, isn't it? All these guys partying way past their prime.
 
W

wendy

Guest
so which is correct??


a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wendy said:
so which is correct??


a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.

They can all be correct if they are properly puctuated. :wink:
 
W

wendy

Guest
"It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
prime."

what does the above sentence means ?I don't get it?

1.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
2.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wendy said:
"It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
prime."

what does the above sentence means ?I don't get it?

1.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
2.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime

It means the same thing as the others. It stops after "sad" for a tag question, which solicits the listener's approval. Then it continues with a sentence fragment to explain what the speaker thinks is sad.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top