still confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wendy

Guest
I'm still confused.

Yes it does sound like some sockpuppet trying to start up some shit about Gale being unhappy again.

Can I change it to possesive form like this??

Yes it does sound like some sockpuppet trying to start up some shit about Gale's being unhappy again.
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wendy said:
I'm still confused.

Yes it does sound like some sockpuppet trying to start up some shit about Gale being unhappy again.

Can I change it to possesive form like this??

Yes it does sound like some sockpuppet trying to start up some shit about Gale's being unhappy again.

Yes you can. That works. :wink:
 
S

Susie Smith

Guest
MikeNewYork said:
wendy said:
I'm still confused.

Yes it does sound like some sockpuppet trying to start up some shit about Gale being unhappy again.

Can I change it to possesive form like this??

Yes it does sound like some sockpuppet trying to start up some shit about Gale's being unhappy again.

Yes you can. That works. :wink:

Sockpuppet is new to me. Please tell me what it means.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A sockpuppet is a puppet made using a sock. You put your hand inside the sock, and your hand becomes the puppet's "face".

:)
 
S

Susie Smith

Guest
RonBee said:
A sockpuppet is a puppet made using a sock. You put your hand inside the sock, and your hand becomes the puppet's "face".

:)

I know that. In fact, I've even painted some faces on old socks to use them as puppets. It was the context (or the lack of context) that got me. I thought it had to have some other meaning.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Sockpuppet' has an internet forum meaning- when someone posts something, then creates an identity to agree with them, they are using a sockpuppet to pretend there is a consensus.
 
S

Susie Smith

Guest
tdol said:
'Sockpuppet' has an internet forum meaning- when someone posts something, then creates an identity to agree with them, they are using a sockpuppet to pretend there is a consensus.

Thanks. :)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're welcome. :lol:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
'Sockpuppet' has an internet forum meaning- when someone posts something, then creates an identity to agree with them, they are using a sockpuppet to pretend there is a consensus.

Thanks, Tdol. I didn't know that one.

:D
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tdol is a knowledgeable fellow.

:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top