Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi.

1642358523865.png
English Vocabulary in Use book

Do you concur with the the statements mentioned above? Do you differentiate between the two that way?

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I'm pretty sure a hurricane is a type of storm.
I feel like these definitions have been simplified to the point of inaccuracy.

Here, just looked it up. See for yourself.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree both are over-simplified and somewhat inexact. A storm doesn't necessarily have to have both wind and rain. My region frequently gets what we call wind and dust storms - completely devoid of any precipitation at all. Plus, even when there is wind and precipitation, it may be snow or hail instead of rain, such as blizzards or hailstorms.

Hurricanes are storms originating over a body of tropical water with cyclonic (rotating) winds reaching a minimum wind-speed of 74 mph/119 kph. I suppose you could simplify that to something like "Hurricanes are a rotating storm starting over water with high winds" and maintain reasonable accuracy. The key elements are rotating winds and water-based origin.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hurricanes are also called typhoons or cyclones, depending on the part of the world they hit.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hurricanes are also called typhoons or cyclones, depending on the part of the world they hit.
From NOAA:

Once a tropical cyclone reaches maximum sustained winds of 74 miles per hour or higher, it is then classified as a hurricane, typhoon, or tropical cyclone, depending upon where the storm originates in the world. In the North Atlantic, central North Pacific, and eastern North Pacific, the term hurricane is used. The same type of disturbance in the Northwest Pacific is called a typhoon. Meanwhile, in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean, the generic term tropical cyclone is used, regardless of the strength of the wind associated with the weather system.

I'm not sure if that's referring to regional dialects (i.e. what the locals call such a storm), or if that's some kind of scientific label/jargon. Perhaps a bit of both.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Cyclone is the term used in South Asia, and typhoon (presumably from the Chinese) in East Asia.

By the way, further to Skrej's comment, a sandstorm or dust storm is a horrible experience. The grit gets into your eyes, ears, nose and mouth and unless you can hide in a house or car all you can do is curl up and wait it out.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
SE Asia, from my experience uses typhoon too- the Philippines has its own naming system, but calls them typhoons.

Mnemon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you folks.

and typhoon (presumably from the Chinese)
Typhoon
Origin
Late 16th century partly via Portuguese from Arabic ṭūfān (perhaps from Greek tuphōn ‘whirlwind’); reinforced by Chinese dialect tai fung ‘big wind’.

a sandstorm or dust storm is a horrible experience.
Never experienced that before, though rather familiar with thunderstorm.

I'm reminded of the very well-known idiom, which is different in AE/BE. Assuming a tempest is a kind of storm, as well.

Tempest in a teapot (American English), or storm in a teacup (British English), is an idiom meaning a small event that has been exaggerated out of proportion.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Cyclone is the term used in South Asia, and typhoon (presumably from the Chinese) in East Asia.
SE Asia, from my experience uses typhoon too- the Philippines has its own naming system, but calls them typhoons.

I was watching a video just this morning where somebody from the Philippines (speaking US English) referring to them as 'cyclones'.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Interesting- I never heard that when I was there, and I was there when Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan struck. I looked in the Wikipedia page and it uses typhoon, including on Philippine maps, though it does also say tropical cyclone at one point. I did a search of a friend's emails, and they only use typhoon. I can't say who the speakers are who use cyclone.