Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have been reading pet sematary by Stephen King ( by the the way, I pronounce it like the name Steven; am I right?) and I can't understand some expressions he uses:

She ha a two-room house................... she had a lot of jazz records and she'd be willing to throw you a little party if you had a ten-dollar bill that wasn't working too hard.

I don't understant what "To throw a ball" an "that wasn't working too hard" mean
Thanks. Ripley

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Steven is pronounced like Stephen, yes.

I'll leave the rest to someone else. ;-)

N

Natalie27

ripley said:
I have been reading pet sematary by Stephen King ( by the the way, I pronounce it like the name Steven; am I right?) and I can't understand some expressions he uses:

She ha a two-room house................... she had a lot of jazz records and she'd be willing to throw you a little party if you had a ten-dollar bill that wasn't working too hard.

I don't understant what "To throw a ball" an "that wasn't working too hard" mean
Thanks. Ripley

to throw a party means to invite people over, to have a bash, to have fun, good time.

"a ten dollar bill that wasn't working too hard" means that "YOU" weren't working too hard to get it so it won't be a sacrifice for you to part with it, if it's not a big deal, if it's not too much for you to pay, etc.

The whole sentence together " if you just give her $10, she will eagerly and easily arrange a nice little party for you".
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.