Suppose I am upgrading the software of my laptop....

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi, Suppose I am upgrading the software of my laptop and it is not working while upgradation in peogress. My friend tries to play games on it but the game can't be played while upgradion in progress. He asks me "what happened to the laptop?" Can I reply "I have set the software of my laptop for upgradion." I know most people will reply that "The software is being upgraded." But my question is my reply grammtical? If not, please make it a grammatically correct sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi​. Suppose I am upgrading the software of my laptop and it is not working while [STRIKE]upgradation[/STRIKE] the upgrade is in progress. My friend tries to play games on it but the game can't be played while [STRIKE]upgradion[/STRIKE] the upgrade is in progress. He asks me "What happened to the laptop?" Can I reply "I have [STRIKE]set[/STRIKE] started [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a software upgrade". [STRIKE]of my laptop for upgradion."[/STRIKE] I know most people will reply [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] with "The software is being upgraded (no full stop here)" but my question is "Is my reply grammatical?" If not, please make it a grammatically correct sentence.

See above. I don't know where you got the idea that "upgradation" is a real word but it's not. It's simply an upgrade. Also, it's usually a software update. You are updating the software on your laptop.

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above. I don't know where you got the idea that "upgradation" is a real word but it's not. It's simply an upgrade. Also, it's usually a software update. You are updating the software on your laptop.

Is it also grammatical?

"I have put the software of the laptop on update/to be updated."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong