take a train vs take the train

Status
Not open for further replies.

raes112

Member Type
English Teacher
What is the difference between the 2 sentences:

1. If you take the train to Tokyo Disneyland from here, you have to change 3 times.

2. If you take a train to Tokyo Disneyland from here, you have to change 3 tmies.

Does #1 imply that there is only 1 train that goes to Disneyland from here & does #2 imply that there are several?

heidita

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a different opinion. To my ear it sounds like take a train means you'll be on only one train, and take the train means rail travel in general.

I usually take a train when I go to New York.

When I travel in Europe, I prefer to take the train.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
What is the difference between the 2 sentences:

1. If you take the train to Tokyo Disneyland from here, you have to change 3 times.

2. If you take a train to Tokyo Disneyland from here, you have to change 3 times.

Does #1 imply that there is only 1 train that goes to Disneyland from here & does #2 imply that there are several?

I'd say that this situation just happens to sit in the middle of the scale determining usage for 'a' & 'the' because both, obviously, can be used. If there's any difference, it's a slightly higher degree of specificity in the speaker's mind. Maybe the people are standing in the station.

Without knowing the context perfectly, though it may well not make any difference, I don't think that either suggests that there's only one train or several trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.