Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do 'To take a test and give a test' mean the same?

He has given two exams just now.
He has taken two exams just today.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Students take tests
Teachers give tests

Hi, In most cases this is true but I have heard some of my friends in India say "I am giving my Maths exam tomorrow", when they mean that they are taking a Maths exam tomorrow.:)

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

b

ps Vaguely relevant info. for Francophones; non French speakers move on. ;-)
And Francophones need to be aware of another faux ami here: passer un examen doesn't mean 'pass'!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Now you can correct them, so that when they take their next English exam that their teacher gives, they may do better.

After some consultation with my Indian friends "to give an exam" equates with "To take or do an exam" in Indian English. The rationisation for this is apparently that when one is given an exam it consists of questions and one gives answers to the questions. Personally, I don't see why, when certain people on this site are ready to accept American versions of English which completely change the structure of the language, they are not ready to accept a relatively simple adaptation in Indian English.;-)

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
After some consultation with my Indian friends "to give an exam" equates with "To take or do an exam" in Indian English. The rationisation for this is apparently that when one is given an exam it consists of questions and one gives answers to the questions. Personally, I don't see why, when certain people on this site are ready to accept American versions of English which completely change the structure of the language, they are not ready to accept a relatively simple adaptation in Indian English.;-)
Rest assured that David will answer you, but if I may add something, "give an exam" does not seem a strong collocation. I have come across "sit an exam", "take an exam" but never "give an exam" in the discussed context.
If you keep using it then, who knows, maybe some people will be inclined to accept it as an Indian English collocation.;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Rest assured that David will answer you, but if I may add something, "give an exam" does not seem a strong collocation. I have come across "sit an exam", "take an exam" but never "give an exam" in the discussed context.
If you keep using it then, who knows, maybe some people will be inclined to accept it as an Indian English collocation.;-)

Hi banderas,
I have only encountered this usage in India, where I lived and worked for a number of years, right now I live and work in the south of France but I keep in touch with my friends in India.:)

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi banderas,
I have only encountered this usage in India, where I lived and worked for a number of years, right now I live and work in the south of France but I keep in touch with my friends in India.:)
Hi bhaishab!:-D
I see, anyway I like the reasoning behind your conclusions. I believe when, a long time ago, the Americans started using "I am good" instead of " I am well", they might have got some odd looks while, say, visiting the UK. Now, "I am good" does not surprise any one.;-)when answering "How are you".
As I said, a long time ago it might have been considered as technically incorrect. You know what I mean?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi bhaishab!:-D
I see, anyway I like the reasoning behind your conclusions. I believe when, a long time ago, the Americans started using "I am good" instead of " I am well", they might have got some odd looks while, say, visiting the UK. Now, "I am good" does not surprise any one.;-)when answering "How are you".
As I said, a long time ago it might have been considered as technically incorrect. You know what I mean?

Yes I know what you mean. I am not, of course, suggesting that I prefer "give" to "take" in this context, I don't use it myself, I simply acknowledge its existence.:)

Last edited:

Dawood Usmani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Do 'To take a test and give a test' mean the same?

He has given two exams just now.
He has taken two exams just today.
Students (or applicants) do/have/take a test.
Teachers give a test.
The class are doing/having a spelling test today.
She had to take/do/sit an aptitude test before she got the job.
Hope this helps!
Dawood :lilangel:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.