[Grammar] ...taught in schools, university and seminary...

LaMelange

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello teachers,

[FONT=&quot]Is the following sentence grammatically correct (keeping in mind that we do not know whether the author has taught in one or more than one university or seminary)?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] She has taught in schools, university and seminary and undertook postgraduate studies in New York, USA.

I feel using "universities" and "seminaries" (plural forms) would be incorrect in such a scenario. Am I wrong?

(I do not know the source of this sentence. I just chanced upon it.)
[/FONT]

Thank you!

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The person writing the sentence knows whether the person taught in more than one university or seminary. They could write ​She has taught in schools, a university, and two seminaries....

"New York, USA" is not a useful toponym. Write New York, New York (or NY), USA. The name of the city is New York. It's located in the state of New York (abbreviated as "NY") which is in the USA. Nobody would be confused by "New York, USA" (though there is a small city called West New York across the Hudson in New Jersey), but we just don't write it that way.

American place names can be ambiguous if you leave out the state name. The city of Portland, Maine is 5,150 km from Portland, Oregon; Kansas City, Missouri is the big city next door to its small sibling, Kansas City, Kansas; thirty-three different places in the United States (in only 25 different states) are named "Springfield".

Last edited: