Teacher's Pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

namsteven

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear friends and Teachers,

- In school I was always the smart one "teacher's pet" and had a pretty high opinion of my intelligence and abilities until I was about twelve or thirteen.

- Does "Teacher's pet" in this context mean "a student who Teachers like the most"?

Thanks a million!

NamSteven

M

matilda

Yes.It means the apple of the teacher's eyes.The person that teachers like, maybe it is because he is beautiful, or smart

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hello,

Is "be sb's pet" disapproving, a bit sarcastic and ironic ?
Whereas "be the apple of sb's eye" isn't ?

Cheers,

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The use of the term "pet" (as a metaphor) is slightly demeaning - it suggests that the "pet" has no (or not enough) autonomy. So a "teacher's pet" is not cool in the eyes of his or her class-mates.

But matilda's use of 'apple of the teacher's eye' was fine :up:;-). There are two points of view, the teacher's and the kids', so it makes sense to use conflicting expressions - one approving and one disapproving. The "apple" image is also resonant with an image of a teacher's pet as someone who gives the teacher small presents - typically an apple (a real one, that is!)

b

M

matilda

Hello all
Sorry,but my computer is out of use and my cellphone doesn't support the (ask the teacher)page.so I had to ask my question here.
What is the best answer for the following question?

The manager of the hotel requested that their quest ............ after 11:00 p.m.
1.must not play music loudly
2.do not play loud music
3.not play music loudly
4.didn't play music loudly

I think 1 is the best but the answer key says 3
And i dont know why

Regards,
Mathilde

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.