That and by

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Please advise a better choice from each of the following sets and the reasons:

A. 1. I told you many times, it is a bad idea to grow marijuana in your own backyard.
2. I told you many times that it is a bad idea to grow marijuana in your own backyard.

B. The idiom "The fish will soon be caught that nibbles at every bite."
1. If you continue to take chances doing dangerous things, one of these days you won't be so lucky."
2. If you continue to take chances by doing dangerous things, one of these days you won't be so lucky.

Thanks a lot.

BMO

bmo

Anonymous said:
Please advise a better choice from each of the following sets and the reasons:

A. 1. I told you many times, it is a bad idea to grow marijuana in your own backyard.
2. I told you many times that it is a bad idea to grow marijuana in your own backyard.

1. If you continue to take chances doing dangerous things, one of these days you won't be so lucky."
2. If you continue to take chances by doing dangerous things, one of these days you won't be so lucky.

Thanks a lot.

BMO

Forgot to log in first. Thanks. bmo

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That would work better as past perfect, thus:
  • As I have told you many times, it is a bad idea to grow marijuana in your own backyard.
Or:
  • I have told you many times that it is a bad idea to grow marijuana in your own backyard.

That's a good one. :)

Both of those look fine to me.

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could replace 'continue' with 'keep taking', which sounds more natural to my ears. ;-)

bmo

Thanks to RonBee and tdol. Much better now after corrections.

BMO

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're quite welcome.

:D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Definitely. ;-)

bmo

tdol said:
You could replace 'continue' with 'keep taking', which sounds more natural to my ears. ;-)

Please consider the following:

"If you continue to take chances" vs "If you keep taking chances" (Keep taking is preferred)

"It is a bad idea to grow marijuana" vs "It is a bad idea growing marijuana" (To grow is preferred)

How do we know when best to use the "to verb" or the gerund?

Thanks.

BMO

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
bmo said:
tdol said:

Please consider the following:

"If you continue to take chances" vs "If you keep taking chances" (Keep taking is preferred)

"It is a bad idea to grow marijuana" vs "It is a bad idea growing marijuana" (To grow is preferred)

How do we know when best to use the "to verb" or the gerund?

I wouldn't use the "growing" phrase as it is in that sentence. However, you could say:
  • Growing marijuana is a bad idea.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.