Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi. Havaa's father just lost all his fingers. Refugees ask him for beds. It seems to me, that the last sentence lacks "with smth" (like pleasure) after "fill him", doesn't it? Thank you.
"Havaa would never know her father had spent the past three days paralyzed by the realization that his fingers would never again ... rake April soil, or flip the pages of a book, or wrap around his penis in the outhouse, where for the space of an inhalation he felt content.
“Yes,” he said. The three refugees beamed with a gratitude that would fill him even longer than a final trip to the outhouse. “We have several beds.” (A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra)

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So, the final trip to the outhouse filled him with gratitude as well?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, the final trip to the outhouse filled him with gratitude as well?

Read it again, Meliss. He's not grateful. The refugees are. The point is not that he'll enjoy that final trip to the outhouse. The point is that the refugees' gratitude would make him even happier than that outhouse visit would.

(Grateful = full of gratitude.)

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, Charlie. I absolutely understand the point. I doubt the form. I would not question the following: "The three refugees beamed with a gratitude that would fill him with pleasure even longer than a final trip to the outhouse."