Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Slovak Republic
I have a question that might seem easy, but my colleague and I can't agree on the correct usage of "The" in this following tiny sentence regarding the government (not furniture):

The Cabinet decided to increase tax.
Cabinet decided to increase tax.

So folks, which do you think is correct?

For no determinable reason I feel it works best without the "The", but my colleague disagrees. For example, you wouldn't say The McDonalds sells hamburgers. However on the other hand, I'm aware that "The government" needs the "The", and it's similar to Cabinet.

If anyone can give a 100% yes or no (and tell me why, if you can) I'd be grateful. :-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a question that might seem easy, but my colleague and I can't agree on the correct usage of "The" in this following tiny sentence regarding the government (not furniture):

The Cabinet decided to increase tax.
Cabinet decided to increase tax.

So folks, which do you think is correct?

For no determinable reason I feel it works best without the "The", but my colleague disagrees. For example, you wouldn't say The McDonalds sells hamburgers. However on the other hand, I'm aware that "The government" needs the "The", and it's similar to Cabinet.

If anyone can give a 100% yes or no (and tell me why, if you can) I'd be grateful. :-D

In the specific example you gave, I would use the article, mainly for the reason you gave yourself - it's like "The government". However, sometimes, it just isn't used:

- Cabinet is in session.
- Cabinet meets every Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.