Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence is grammatically correct.

The construction of a motorway in the countryside has met resistance from environmentalists, landowners and villagers. They argue that the damages to natural life and environment will be irreparable.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with 'the damage' and 'the environment', but 'has met (with or without 'with') is fine in BE.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
In my post, I asked someone to correct my mistakes, not to give me links to a dictionary. I do not understand why do you bother to answer my post when you are neither a native speaker nor a teacher of English. I am looking for help from someone who really can help me, and not from someone who only confuses me with his answers.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
I do not understand why do you bother to answer my post when you are neither a native speaker nor a teacher of English.
Sorry to bother you again, but I think the second 'do' should be omitted because a noun clause rather than a question should be used there.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use damages as a plural for court orders to pay compensation. Here, I would use it uncountably.

Actually, Matthew is a native speaker- he was not born one, but he is indistinguishable to us, from us and by us. It is a question of technique in his replying here, not knowledge.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As Matthews's native language is given as Chinese in his profile, Bassim's belief that he is not a native speaker of English is not unreasonable.

It's not, but I was putting across a different view. Bassim is another learner who is hitting that limit. Most of the suggestions I make are teensie improvements or alternatives rather than corrections. It is very difficult to achieve this sort of level in a foreign language, so I would offer thumbs-up to both. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.