the correct plural form

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasydew

Member Type
Student or Learner
hi all..
I want to ask you something regarding the noun "woman".

I know that the plural used in all dictionaries is "women"..But someone told me that "wemen" (?!) can also be considered a plural form...I dont think this is correct..I have never, ever, used this plural form..

I put this question on Yahoo answers and someone told me that in "The Urban Dictionary" you can find this plural form too...

I am not a native speaker of English , can you please, answer?

all the best!

colloquium

Member Type
English Teacher
hi all..
I want to ask you something regarding the noun "woman".

I know that the plural used in all dictionaries is "women"..But someone told me that "wemen" (?!) can also be considered a plural form...I dont think this is correct..I have never, ever, used this plural form..

I put this question on Yahoo answers and someone told me that in "The Urban Dictionary" you can find this plural form too...

I am not a native speaker of English , can you please, answer?

all the best!

Wemen is not an acceptable alternative to woman, although I am sure some people probably do pronounce it like wemen and that is probably where such a silly word comes from.

I have noticed prolly replacing probably in the writing of some young people. I suppose the sloppy spelling just naturally follows the sloppy pronunciation. Evolution working backwards :-D

jlinger

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
I've not seen wemen anywhere, but "womon/womyn/womin" are all variants used by the feminist movement, in a attempt to remove the "man" from their name (even though he entymology of "man" has nothing masculine about it).

I wonder what the plural of womyn is? Womyns? Gads! Spare me!

Status
Not open for further replies.