The Declaration of Independence

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I am writing a term paper for a graduate level class. I am citing a quote form the delcaration of Independence. Could you advise me as to the APA standard to quote “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness” and how do I cite the quote on the reference page of term paper?

I need your response ASAP, the paper is due today.

Thank you,
Debra

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Put it in quotes and state that it is from the Declaration of Independence. That should be sufficient. It is a well-known document.

:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
dfrancis1 said:
I am writing a term paper for a graduate level class. I am citing a quote form the delcaration of Independence. Could you advise me as to the APA standard to quote “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness” and how do I cite the quote on the reference page of term paper?

I need your response ASAP, the paper is due today.

Thank you,
Debra

I don't know the APA standard, but I agree with Ron. For a document such as the Declaration of Independence, one does not need to list a book, publication, publisher, date or page number. You can introduce the quote :

As was written in the United States Declaration of Independence,"

or you could put the citation in parentheses after the quote.

If you have other quotes that are footnoted, you could footnote this one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.