"the going gets tough, the tough gets going"

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phalkun

I heard this idiom,
"the going gets tough, the tough gets going". I think i know the meaning but i'm not quite sure. Does it mean like, for example, if someone is trying to do something but utimately gives up ?

Let me know if i'm wrong, not quite right.

Cheers. :D

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
phalkun said:
I heard this idiom,
"the going gets tough, the tough gets going". I think i know the meaning but i'm not quite sure. Does it mean like, for example, if someone is trying to do something but utimately gives up ?

When life become difficult, the strong rise to the challenge; they fight to survive/win! :wink:

P

phalkun

Casiopea said:
phalkun said:
I heard this idiom,

When life become difficult, the strong rise to the challenge; they fight to survive/win! :wink:

I don't really get you. Can you explain a bit more plz? Can it mean something else?

Thanks alot.

P

phalkun

Casiopea said:
phalkun said:
I heard this idiom,

I don't really get you. Can you explain a bit more plz? Can it mean something else?

Thanks alot.

Francois

The going gets tough => life/things become difficult
the tough gets going => tough/strong persons march on/are not stopped by adversity

The saying means: don't give up when it gets difficult.

FRC

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Francois said:
The going gets tough => life/things become difficult
the tough gets going => tough/strong persons march on/are not stopped by adversity

The saying means: don't give up when it gets difficult.

FRC

:up:

A.Russell

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Thailand
Tough has two meanings. It could mean hard or dificult, it could also mean a strong person.

So in this case, the idiom means, when times/situations are hard/tough, tough/strong people kick arse.

shamim_h

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
United States
Can it also mean, suppose I am in a job and the facility has decreased. That means, the going is getting tough. So I plan to switch job coz I know I can find another. Meaning the tough gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.