The internet providing companies do not provide as much of the internet as they promi

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) The internet providing companies do not provide as much of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.).

2) The internet providing companies do not provide as much speed of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.).

Please check my sentences.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These companies are usually called internet service providers. I have two lines providing 3 Mbps (mega-bits per second; don't write "MB", which means "megabytes") of bandwidth and one wireless modem providing as much as 28 Mbps.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
These companies are usually called internet service providers. I have two lines providing 3 Mbps (mega-bits per second; don't write "MB", which means "megabytes") of bandwidth and one wireless modem providing as much as 28 Mbps.

How about my sentences?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Replace "internet providing companies" with the phrase I suggested. Replace "as much of the internet" and "internet speed" with the word I suggested. Change the abbreviation as I suggested.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Replace "internet providing companies" with the phrase I suggested. Replace "as much of the internet" and "internet speed" with the word I suggested. Change the abbreviation as I suggested.

1) The internet service providers do not provide as much of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.).

2) The internet service providers do not provide as much speed of the internet as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.).

I don't understand what do I need to replace "as much of the internet" and "internet speed" with? Could you please elaborate?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
provide as much of the internet as they promise

This doesn't work for me. They do provide as much of the internet as they promise in terms of accessing sites, but do not allow you the all the data they promise.

I would use something like the following:

ISPs do not supply as much as they promise.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The part of the service your sentences are about is the bandwidth. ISPs provide a little less bandwidth than they advertise.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The part of the service your sentences are about is the bandwidth. ISPs provide a little less bandwidth than they advertise.

1) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.).

2) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise (like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.).

Are these sentences correct now? But what does "bandwidth" mean here? It is equivalent to the speed and to the data as well. How can we differentiate between speed and data?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise [strike](like if they say they will be providing 6 GB of internet data but customer gets 5.5 GB only.)[/strike].

2) The internet service providers do not provide as much bandwidth as they promise [strike](like if they say they will be providing 20 MBPS of internet speed but customer gets 12 MBPS of speed only.)[/strike].

Are these sentences correct now? But what does "bandwidth" mean here? It is equivalent to the speed and to the data as well. How can we differentiate between speed and data?
Unless you previously mentioned the ISPs you're writing about, drop the definite article from the beginning of both sentences.

Bandwidth refers to speed. ISPs always note that the advertised speed is the maximum and actual performance may be less.

I missed something from the first parenthetical statement. Sentence 1 accuses the companies of outright fraud: they're promising to deliver up to 6 GB of data per billing period, but capping the delivery at 5.5 GB. You can write ISPs don't provide as much data as they promise.

(Some people like to insist that data​ is always plural. This sentence is a good example of why they're wrong. :))

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your definition of 'bandwidth' is not the conventional definition....

Incidentally, upload speeds are always slower than download speeds.
Home internet service is usually asymmetrical (i.e., download speeds are much faster than upload speeds). This is not necessarily the case with commercial service. I just ran a speedtest at my office and found that my upload speed was a little faster: 90 Mbps versus 87.5 Mbps down.

In the internet context, bandwidth means the amount of information per unit of time that the connection can move.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"(Some people like to insist that data​ is always plural. This sentence is a good example of why they're wrong. :)) Like me. I'm happy to be wrong. That puts me in a select group.

I hope you wouldn't write Transmission speed is a measure of how many data can be moved per unit of time. Only "much" works for me there.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some people like to insist that data​ is always plural.

It is in some contexts, but I see no case for this in the case of internet data, a field that almost exclusively uses it as uncountable. When I find an ISP offering xxxGb datum a month, I will be prepared to concede that there are questions about the usage. :up: