Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I just read the transcript of Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture". Before Randy started his lecture. He said, "make me earn it". I don't understand the meaning of this expression. Can someone explain?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I just read the transcript of Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture". Before Randy started his lecture. He said, "make me earn it". I don't understand the meaning of this expression. Can someone explain?
Depends. I assume he's telling the students to make him earn his salary (say, by giving a good last lecture, assuming this is his last lecture). But it's impossible to say without more context.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The speaker says "Make me earn it", while he is signaling to the audience to sit down.

The audience stood up to give Randy Pausch an enthusiastic applause as he walked into the lecture hall. Randy meant to tell them that the applause should be given after he has delivered his lecture so that the audience can judge for themselves whether he deserved the applause (earn it) rather than before the lecture. It is a humble way of saying he didn't deserve the applause so early.

not a teacher

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The audience stood up to give Randy Pausch an enthusiastic applause as he walked into the lecture hall. Randy meant to tell them that the applause should be given after he has delivered his lecture so that the audience can judge for themselves whether he deserved the applause (earn it) rather than before the lecture. It is a humble way of saying he didn't deserve the applause so early.

not a teacher
Yes, exactly.

ckcgordon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

not a teacher

Thanks, tedtmc.

Status
Not open for further replies.