The level of English I have at the moment should have been my level when I was younge

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) The level of English I have at the moment should have been my level when I was younger.

2) I should have been at this level earlier I am at the moment when it comes to English.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's no reason to use "should". There are no rules as to how good you should be at a language at any particular age.

I wish I'd improved my English sooner/earlier.
I wish I'd been able to speak English as well as I can now when I was younger.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There's no reason to use "should". There are no rules as to how good you should be at a language at any particular age.

I wish I'd improved my English sooner/earlier.
I wish I'd been able to speak English as well as I can now when I was younger.

How about my sentences? Are they totally wrong?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Your basic problem is that you try to include too much information in your sentences. When someone suggests something much simpler, go with that and leave the messy ones behind. I would also say that the second sentence is gibberish. The first is difficult to follow, but not totally wrong.

The writer Samuel Beckett spent years copying James Joyce. He then went back to Ireland and had an epiphany- Joyce's writing was about elaboration, but Beckett's skills lay in reduction. The more he reduced things, the greater the writer he became. You could take a page out of his book. Is the information you want to include utterly essential? If not, cut it out.

I should have been at this level earlier I am at the moment

This is ungrammatical and contorted. The contortion seems worse than the bad grammar to me. You could convey the idea much more economically.