The man............ (sell) all basketball tickets that he..................(have).

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The man............ (sell) all basketball tickets that he..................(have).

If I were supposed to fill the sentence above with either past perfect or past simple, what would be the correct solution?

The first is in past simple. However, I don't know the second. The man had the tickets and then he sold them. So would past perfect be correct or is past simple enough?

Thank you in advance

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If I were supposed to fill the sentence above with either past perfect or past simple, what would be the correct solution?

The first is in past simple. However, I don't know the second. The man had the tickets and then he sold them. So would past perfect be correct or is past simple enough?

Thank you in advance

If you look at the sentence you wrote: "The man had the tickets and then he sold them", you will find that you have already answered the question! So - what do you think it is?

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To be quite honest, I don't know.
To me, there are two possible explanations of your reply. If I look at the sentence I wrote, I can either say: 'I used past simple in both clauses, therefore, it should done the same way in the first sentence' or 'By the sentence I wrote, I marked how the situations would look when displayed on a timeline, i.e. having the tickets -first, selling them - second. This would probably allow past perfect to be used'.
I know it's probably surprising, and I am quite ashamed of myself because of not having been able to spot the correct answer, but I still need a bit of help. I am sorry. :oops:

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, the words you need are contained in the sentence I quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.