[General] The meaning of "however" in this sentence...

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

I was wondering what exactly this sentence means, regarding the position of "however". (I'm attaching the whole context as a file.)

Not all languages have an existing literature, however, and certainly not one like Hebrew has

Would it mean something like,

However, not all languages have an existing literature, and certainly not one like Hebrew has.

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_172627.jpg
    IMG_20180116_172627.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 8

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
My friend has put this question up to another forum, the answer being that 'Hebrew DOES have an existing literature (the old testament, as an example).

But, how about "however"?! :cry:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there,

I was wondering what exactly this sentence means, regarding the position of "however". (I'm attaching the whole article as a file so you'll understand the context.)

Not all languages have an existing literature, however, and certainly not one like Hebrew has

Would it mean something like,

However, not all languages have an existing literature, and certainly not one like Hebrew has.
Yes, however is fine in both places.

Look up context.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot for the correction.

I still can't understand the point of 'however' being used, as I don't realise what exact contrast it's meant to suggest in the sentence.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot for the correction.

I still can't understand the point of 'however' being used, as I don't realise what exact contrast it's meant to suggest in the sentence.
You'd have to look at the previous sentence to determine that. The quoted sentence is contrasting Hebrew literature with the literature of other languages.