The most popular tours now are those where you can eat food ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daruma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello.

Misaki, Misaki Uchida. I'm a tour bus guide for Suzume Bus, the one with the sparrow mark.
The most popular tours now are those where you can eat food in season, and, of course, the hot spring tours. The tours that take you shopping at the outlets in the suburbs are also really popular.

Are there any errors here?
Is those correctly used? Would "ones" work instead?

Thank you.

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
Hello.

Misaki, Misaki Uchida. I'm a tour bus guide for Suzume Bus, the one with the sparrow mark.
The most popular tours now are those where you can eat food in season, and, of course, the hot spring tours. The tours that take you shopping at the outlets in the suburbs are also really popular.

Thank you.

Yes, "those" is correctly used. and yes, "ones" would work instead.

But a more perfect replacement would be "the ones."

"Ones" alone sounds kind of abstract and distant. It's the word you'd use if the company didn't offer them: "Ones that let you eat food in season are the most popular. Too bad we don't have those."

But this difference is faint, and I doubt anyone would notice even if they read this sentence three times in close succession with each phrase substituted. They would assert that all three selections were just the same.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hello.

Thank you.

You could use "the ones" in place of "those". In fact, I think "the ones" is better than saying "those" in this sentence.

What do you mean by "food in season"?

Daruma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Do you say "food in season" to mean "seasonal food"?

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Do you say "food in season" to mean "seasonal food"?

The phrase is usually "seasonal vegetables" or "seasonal fruit". As well, there's "seasonal fruit and vegetables".

The phrase "food in season" does sound not usual, though I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Last edited:

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
The phrase is usually "seasonal vegetables" or "seasonal fruit". As well, there's "seasonal fruit and vegetables".

The phrase is "food in season" does not usual, though I wouldn't say it's impossible.

I think "food in season" is being used now, particularly by restaurants that want to stress a certain orientation to their menu offerings.

They are stressing fresh-picked, locally-grown, sustainable (and maybe even organic) produce and dairy products.

I think that "food is season" is a good choice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.