Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The this-leafed varieties grow in rainy areas, and the thick-leafed varieties in areas more subject to drought.

So... the verb 'grow' is omitted between varieties and in areas. I wonder why it is possible. :?:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

It's an "omission" of a verb, not an "omit." Omit is the verb, omission the noun.

Did you have difficulty understanding the sentence without the word "grow" there twice?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The this-leafed varieties grow in rainy areas, and the thick-leafed varieties in areas more subject to drought.

So... the verb 'grow' is omitted between varieties and in areas. I wonder why it is possible. :?:

It's because "grow" has already been used in the first half of the sentence so it doesn't need to be repeated if you're simply giving another example of how something else does the same thing.

I run fast, but my friend much faster.
The blue paint spreads thickly, the green [paint] much less so.

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Not a teacher.

It's an "omission" of a verb, not an "omit." Omit is the verb, omission the noun.

Did you have difficulty understanding the sentence without the word "grow" there twice?

Thank you for your correction. Of course I don't have any difficulties understanding the sentence, but I need to explain it to my students why it is allowed in my grammar class. The students are always like.. ' Then teacher, why is it possible? Is there any grammar rule? Can you explain it grammatically?' haha.. Thx :lol:

Last edited:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If it cannot be confused and is close enough to make sense, then we can omit.

Status
Not open for further replies.