Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Are my sentences grammatically correct?

The prime minister warned journalists that she would not reply to any groundless accusations of any kind in the future. She was tasked with leading the country and not participating in meaningless gossip.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Good grammar but I don't see the connection between the two sentences. Are the accusations aimed at her? What's the relevance of gossip?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have not specified at who the accusations are aimed at. It could be at her or at the government. But she regards them as not serious, but as gossip.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The prime minister warned journalists that she would not reply to any groundless accusations of any kind in the future. .

Additionally, she said that it is her job to run the government, not respond to rumormongers.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Good grammar but I don't see the connection between the two sentences. Are the accusations aimed at her? What's the relevance of gossip?

You will find text like this in British newspapers at the moment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think Tdol meant lots of quotes from (or about) Theresa May, trying to give the impression she's actually running the country.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A lot of people say that person (the prime minister or president) is running the country, but that individual is not tasked with running the country. That person is in charge of the government. You could argue that the government runs the country so by extension the person in charge of the government runs the country. I will remind you what Margaret Thatcher said when Gorbachev asked her how she makes sure everybody gets fed. She said she doesn't. Running the country is too big of a job for anybody, so nobody actually does that.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think Tdol meant lots of quotes from (or about) Theresa May, trying to give the impression she's actually running the country.

I did. I was trying not to make a political point. I think the PM uses the word gossip to try to make the accusations seem less important.