The quick and the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanja

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
I've found the expression in my dictionary.

And I want to ask: does this really mean "people that are alive and people that are already dead"???

Obviously, etymology refers to classification of pedestrians... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Tanja said:
I've found the expression in my dictionary.

And I want to ask: does this really mean "people that are alive and people that are already dead"???

Obviously, etymology refers to classification of pedestrians... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try HERE. 8)
 

Tanja

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Casiopea said:

:D Yeah, that's pretty good. I think I' ll read it afterwards with great pleasure.
But now I still wonder, why can not we use "the alive and the dead" instead of "the quick and the dead"? Would it be a mistake to use such an expression?
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Tanja said:
Casiopea said:

:D Yeah, that's pretty good. I think I' ll read it afterwards with great pleasure.
But now I still wonder, why can not we use "the alive and the dead" instead of "the quick and the dead"? Would it be a mistake to use such an expression?

quick - Old English, cwic "living, alive" SOURCE
quicken - to come or return to life
the quick and the dead - those who have died and come back to life

All the best, :D
 

Tanja

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Casiopea said:
quick - Old English, cwic "living, alive" SOURCE
quicken - to come or return to life
the quick and the dead - those who have died and come back to life

All the best, :D

"those who have died and come back to life" => the quick Right?

Can the word "quick" mean those people who are just alive, who have never died(like you and I)?

And generally speaking, is this expression an idiom?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top