The quick and the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2003
The quick and the dead, cease and desist, pros and cons, last but not least, etc., etc., is there a name for this kind of things?
 
N

Natalie27

Guest
bmo said:
The quick and the dead, cease and desist, pros and cons, last but not least, etc., etc., is there a name for this kind of things?

pros and cons is an idiom as far as I know. Not too sure about the rest.
 

Steven D

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
bmo said:
The quick and the dead, cease and desist, pros and cons, last but not least, etc., etc., is there a name for this kind of things?

You could call them "and expressions" "and collocations" "and idioms"

http://www.eli.ubc.ca/teachers/lessons/language/Idioms/index.html


Everyday Idioms: Pairs of words joined with 'and' (Intermediate)

http://www.eli.ubc.ca/teachers/lessons/language/Idioms/And_int.pdf

Everyday Idioms: Pairs of words joined with 'and' (Advanced)

http://www.eli.ubc.ca/teachers/lessons/language/Idioms/and_adv.pdf
 

bmo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2003
Natalie27 said:
pros and cons is an idiom as far as I know. Not too sure about the rest.

the quick and the dead. the living and the dead.
cease and desisit. stop
last but not least. although it is the last one i am talking about, it is not the least important one.
 

bmo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2003
thanks, you gave me a trove of information. So you just call it "expression?" There is no special grammatical term except perhaps "collocation?"
 

Steven D

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
bmo said:
Natalie27 said:
pros and cons is an idiom as far as I know. Not too sure about the rest.

the quick and the dead. the living and the dead.
cease and desisit. stop
last but not least. although it is the last one i am talking about, it is not the least important one.

Well, I guess I'd call it an expression. It's not exactly an idiom because the words can be taken literally.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=44757&dict=CALD

Definition

last but not least

importantly, despite being mentioned after everyone else:

I would like to thank my publisher, my editor and, last but not least, my husband.
 

Steven D

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
bmo said:
thanks, you gave me a trove of information. So you just call it "expression?" There is no special grammatical term except perhaps "collocation?"

The University of British Columbia calls them "and idioms". I would just call them "expressions". There is no special grammatical term for this sort of thing that I know of.

I would just as soon go with "collocation". I like that, "collocation".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top