The students who are at school tell their parents that what they have learnt today at

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The students who are at school tell their parents that what they have learnt today at school. What do they need to say if they want to tell them that they were taught a chapter by their teacher? "Today our teacher read (second form of read) us a chapter".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's OK, but I would expect it to end with the name of the book, or at least the topic.

Today, our teacher read us a chapter of Jane Eyre.
Today, our teacher read us a chapter of a history book.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Today, our teacher read us a chapter of a history book.

It's also possible to use "from" instead of "of" in that kind of sentence.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The students who are at school tell their parents that what they have learnt today at school.

I think the words underlined should be deleted. The parents cannot be telling their parents if they are still at school.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]The students who are at[/STRIKE] Some schoolchildren tell their parents [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] what they [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] learnt [STRIKE]today[/STRIKE] at school today. What [STRIKE]do they need[/STRIKE] could/should [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] they say if they want to tell them that they were taught a chapter by their teacher? Is "Today our teacher read (second form of read) us a chapter" correct?

See my corrections above. Also, there is a difference between teaching a chapter of a book, and reading from it. The teacher could be reading from a book that isn't intended to be educational. It might just be "story time" at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.