Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In Asia, it's a trend for women to whiten their skin since most asian men like women with white skin. However, I know it may be different in the west since people like the sun and like getting themselves tanned. So, if the sunlight is too much and makes people feel uncomfortable, we may say "The sun is big(direct translation from Chinese)". So, is there any common way to describe there is too much sunlight which makes ppl uncomfortable?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Asia, it's a trend for women to whiten their skin since most Asian men like women with white skin. However, I know it may be different in the West since people like the sun and like getting themselves tanned. So, if the sunlight is too much and makes people feel uncomfortable, we may say "The sun is big(direct translation from Chinese)". So, is there any common way to [STRIKE]describe[/STRIKE] say that there is too much sunlight which makes [STRIKE]ppl[/STRIKE] people uncomfortable?

"The sun is big" simply describes its size!

I would say something like:

The sun is very strong.
The sun is really hot today (although of course, the sun is always hot, so we would normally say "It's really hot today").
It's incredibly sunny today!
The sun is dangerously strong in the height of summer.
The sun is beating down.

Status
Not open for further replies.