Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The Story covers very different areas of Chola history , the caste system that was present in the Chola history . The Sirpa Art which was in all its glory during the period of RajaRaja is described in great deal . The Story also discusses how such huge granite blocks were carried to the top . The temple construction required wars to be fought[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] , it involved lot of slaves captured during wars . The temple was built using the properties looted during the wars with the Chalukyas , Pandyas etc .[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I understand the line in red. I think it means; To construct such a big temple they needed a lot of slaves and money. So, to get those, they had to fight and win wars.

I just want to know whether it is natural. I think it is also ambiguous. It can also mean that the temple construction brought a lot of enemies. So, they had to fight wars.
[/FONT]

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's natural. And any ambiguity is eliminated because it goes on to explain why wars were needed.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's a poorly written text overall but, as SoothingDave said, "required wars to be fought" is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.