Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi teachers, suppose I have a T.V and it has been running quite well until now, then it has just stopped displaying picture. Can I say "Hey mom, what happened to th T.V? it was/has been running quite smoothly until now." I admit I have posted previous threads relating to "until now". Should I use 'until now' or any other phrase instead of it?

If there is anything ungrammatical in my sentences, please correct it.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
The TV had been working well but just failed.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Modern TVs are digital systems that generally have just two running conditions: they work or they don't. Running quite smoothly doesn't work for one of them because it suggests that it's possible for a TV to work, but not very well. I'd reserve that expression for mechanical systems like sewing machines and cars.

It would be natural to say "Hey Mom, what happened to the TV? It was working fine until just now."

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I'd also use working rather than running for a television.

The situation you describe is not very realistic, though. Is your mum an electrical engineer or something? How is she supposed to know what is wrong with the TV, unless she was there when it stopped working and has an explanation for it? If that were the case, 'until now' wouldn't make sense because it would have stopped working earlier, and you just realised it.

"Hey mum, what happened to the TV? It was working fine the last time I used it and now it isn't."

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Does this sound natural: 'hey mum, what happened to the tv? It has been working quite well but has just stopped"

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
It was working fine but has just died.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does this sound natural: 'hey mum, what happened to the tv? It has been working quite well but has just stopped"
This would be OK: "It was working but then it stopped." It would be more natural to end with "it turned off."

Since TVs generally either work or don't these days, there's no need for an intensifier. Quite is a marker for Indian English, which uses it far more often than American English does.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I probably should have focused more on the unsuitability of running smoothly for a modern electronic device than on whether such devices have a range of functionality.