Student or Learner
Native Language
Norwegian
Home Country
Norway
Current Location
Norway
HI,

I have a unusual question, which is regarding to an grammar and vocabulary/"structuring a sentence". Which I would like to get an answer to.

I have a friend and she's studying to become a high school teacher. She and I had a discussion regarding the use of "unless" and "If" in- or after a claim, which may or may not have been a conditional stated claim.

See the example below to better understand the issue:

- Me: "The part time job is not meant to be a debt-repaying job"

- Her: "But the potential is there"

- Me: "There's no potential there"
- Me(again): "Unless the polish man demands 20 thousand or plus (for a car-accident I had with his car)"

Now, what I am wondering is this, is the usage of the word "unless" in this context incorrect, or correct?

Whereas, my friend the english student and a future english teacher is disputing my use of the word "unless" by saying, "if" is the correct word to use in this context..!

An answer with an explanation would be most satisfying.
Thank you in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your scenario is very unclear.

Are you saying that if this man (from Poland?) demands a whole bunch of money from you, that then the job would be for re-paying this debt to him?

Without fully understanding what it is you are talking about, I can say that you seem to be correct.

"This isn't that, unless something else is a thing."

AJAK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Norwegian
Home Country
Norway
Current Location
Norway
Thank you for clarifying :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello AJAK, and welcome to the forum. :)

Hi,

I have an unusual question [STRIKE], which is regarding to an[/STRIKE] about grammar, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] vocabulary [STRIKE]/"structuring a[/STRIKE] and sentence structure. [STRIKE]Which I would like to get an answer to.[/STRIKE]

I have a friend and she's studying to become a high school teacher. She and I had a discussion regarding the use of "unless" and "if" in or after a claim, which may or may not have been a conditional stated claim.

See the example below to better understand the issue:

- I: "The part-time job is not meant to be a debt-repaying job."

- She: "But the potential is there."

- I: "There's no potential there."
- I: "Unless the polish man demands [STRIKE]20[/STRIKE] twenty thousand or [STRIKE]plus[/STRIKE] more (for a car accident I had with his car)."

Now, what I am wondering is this: Is the usage of the word "unless" in this context incorrect, or correct?

[STRIKE] Whereas,[/STRIKE] My friend, the English student and a future English teacher, is disputing my use of the word "unless" [STRIKE]by saying,[/STRIKE] and says "if" is the correct word to use in this context!

[STRIKE] An answer with an explanation would be most satisfying.[/STRIKE]
Thank you in advance.

I agree with SD that the context isn't clear, especially the last sentence in that dialogue. Can you clarify the context for us please? Try to provide more details.