there has been a move to abolish laws which were deemed to be too harsh or strict.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could you please check these sentence?

In recent years, there has been a move to abolish laws which were deemed to be too harsh or strict.
In recent years, there has been a move to abolishing laws which were deemed to be too harsh or strict.
In recent years, there has been a move towards abolishing laws which were deemed to be too harsh or strict.

Does "move" mean "PROGRESS/CHANGE a change, especially one which improves a situation "?
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/move

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you RobertJ.
So, it seems that in the sentence #1 "to" have the same meaning as "in order to", while in the sentence #2, "to" acts as a preposition. As a result, both forms are acceptable.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
In recent years there has been a move to abolish laws which were deemed to be too harsh or strict.
May I ask why do the author use "past tense"?
It seems that those laws are about to abolish. They has not yet abolished.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
May I ask why [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] the author used the (no quotation marks here) past tense? (no quotation marks before the question mark)
It seems that those laws are about to be abolished. They [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have not yet been abolished.

See my corrections above.

The past tense was used because the laws had been deemed to be too harsh or strict before the move to abolish them was made.