They were loking for a new lease of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

One of the expressions we studied the other day was 'get a new lease of life' which has the following definition: 'If
someone gets a new lease of life, they feel healthy and positive after a period of illness.'
After watching the video 'For the First Time' by the Script, a student tried to describe his understanding of the plot,
and used the expression this way:
'The story is about a young Irish couple who moved across the pond, probably searching for a new lease of life, but, unfortunately, everything turned out bad.'

Does the searching for a new lease of life part sound OK in this context? For me it does, but I am not a native speaker.

Thank you in advance.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

One of the expressions we studied the other day was 'get a new lease of life' which has the following definition: 'If
someone gets a new lease of life, they feel healthy and positive after a period of illness.'
After watching the video 'For the First Time' by the Script, a student tried to describe his understanding of the plot,
and used the expression this way:
'The story is about a young Irish couple who moved across the pond, probably searching for a new lease of life, but, unfortunately, everything turned out bad.'

Does the searching for a new lease of life part sound OK in this context? For me it does, but I am not a native speaker.

Thank you in advance.
I believe that the saying is "A new lease on life". This is usually understood to mean that a person has an opportunity to begin anew. I can't see how feeling healthy or positive has anything to do with this saying. Consider that a person has a heart operation and his heart condition is improved as a result of the operation. It can be said that he has a new lease on life but his emotional feelings are not a part of this matter.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In AmE we say "new lease on life", but in BrE it's "new lease of life."

Status