think of or think about

Status
Not open for further replies.

trila

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi!

What is the difference between expressions "think of" and "think about". Is it equal to say "i will think of this problem" and "i will think about this problem"?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I will think about this problem" is OK.
Did you mean to say "I will think 'of' this problem" ?(you wrote "if).
Any of these could be OK depending on context. You should provide several examples as complete sentences.

trila

Member Type
Student or Learner
Oh yes, i meant "of"! I cant tell you the examples. I often hear both this expressions in films. So it was interesting to me. Is it right that i can use them equally in my speaking?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Hi!

What is the difference between expressions "think of" and "think about". Is it equal to say "i will think of this problem" and "i will think about this problem"?

Thanks in advance!

The correct use of prepositions is one of the most difficult goals to achieve when learning a foreign language.

I would never say "I will think of this problem" but rather "I will think about it."
Usually you "think about" something but I guess there may be situations in which you can "think of" someone or something. For instance: "Think of a number!"
Here you think precisely in a certain number (it just comes to your mind), not "about it" in the sense of reflecting about it.

PS Not a native speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.