This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar didn't say anything so it migh

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I wrote in one of my threads "This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar didn't say anything so it might be correct". Is this sentence correct?

If yes, then can (I shouldn't be using 'Can' after then but I couldn't come up with any other option.) it be written in the following ways?

1) This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar hadn't said anything so it might have been correct.

2) This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar didn't say anything so it might have been correct.

3) This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar didn't say anything so it would be correct.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your "I thought" is in the wrong place. If I remember correctly, it was:

Teechar didn't say anything, so I thought it might be correct.

And, yes, like that it's just fine.

Two things.

You keep putting "I thought" in the wrong place.

Why is it when you have a perfectly good way of saying something you keep looking for other ways to say it?

There is nothing wrong with "then can" (Relax!)

Okay! Three things.
:)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Your "I thought" is in the wrong place. If I remember correctly, it was:

Teechar didn't say anything, so I thought it might be correct.

And, yes, like that it's just fine.

Two things.

You keep putting "I thought" in the wrong place.

Why is it when you have a perfectly good way of saying something you keep looking for other ways to say it?

What do you mean by "three things"?

There is nothing wrong with "then can" (Relax!)

Okay! Three things.
:)

I would like to know about my other sentences as well. Could you please tell me whether they are correct or not?

What is this "three things"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wrote in one of my threads "This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar didn't say anything so it might be correct". Is this sentence correct?

If yes, then can (I shouldn't be using 'Can' after then but I couldn't come up with any other option.) it be written in the following ways?

1) This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar hadn't said anything so it might have been correct.

2) This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar didn't say anything so it might have been correct.

3) This is what I was thinking but I thought that teechar didn't say anything so it would be correct.

For one, say:

This is what I was thinking, but teechar hadn't said anything, so I thought it might have been correct.

For two, say:

This is what I was thinking, but teechar didn't say anything, so I thought it might be correct.

For three, say:

This is what I was thinking, but teechar didn't say anything, so I thought maybe it was correct.

How's that?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
For one, say:

This is what I was thinking, but teechar hadn't said anything, so I thought it might have been correct.

For two, say:

This is what I was thinking, but teechar didn't say anything, so I thought it might be correct.

For three, say:

This is what I was thinking, but teechar didn't say anything, so I thought maybe it was correct.

How's that?

Can't we use "might have been" in second and third sentence? If not then what is the reason?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can't we use "might have been" in the second and third sentences? If not then what is the reason?

No, I don't think so. (I don't have a reason.)

Status
Not open for further replies.