Thread titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Academic
In accordance with the rules of registration in usingenglish forums, the thread title must be clear.

This is very important to make it easier for any new member of reader to get quick answers to his/her questions.

However, it seems to be that many threads do not have clear titles. What is a member supposed to do when a thread title is vague? Is the member supposed to ignore the thread?

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Ignore the title and answer the thread. Posters are encouraged to give their threads informative titles as much as possible, but new posters have to learn the ropes.

rocking

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Grateful to your generosity and understanding - most tread senders are people who need help. i think that's what this site is all about - to help those who are aspiring to making an effort to get better at the foreign language!

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
No, don't ignore the thread, but if someone is using titles that really don't work, then a hint or two to help them make better titles is a good idea. ;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, don't ignore the thread, but if someone is using titles that really don't work, then a hint or two to help them make better titles is a good idea. ;-)
What do you consider a good title?
To me, searchability is important. Second, some specific information from the post.

Here some useless titles (in my opinion):
Help me with this word
Question
Urgent help needed!
Hi!
Grammer Q
How should I say this
Is this correct?
Idiom meaning

Here are some useful titles:
Pernickety - what is it?
IELTA exam information, please