throw vs. roll

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I'd like to know the difference of using the words, "throwing" and "rolling" in the phrases below.

throwing a die/ rolling a die

Is the sentece correct ? I don't mean in grammar. I'd like to know the content or usage.

The boy is rolling a stone.

Thank you for all!

Francois

You can say both.

The boy is rolling a stone
He's pushing a big stone, which makes it roll. It would be better to use a definite article eg. "he's rolling the stone out of the way". You generally don't go around rolling stones for the fun of it ;)

FRC

S

Susie Smith

Francois said:
You can say both.

The boy is rolling a stone
He's pushing a big stone, which makes it roll. It would be better to use a definite article eg. "he's rolling the stone out of the way". You generally don't go around rolling stones for the fun of it ;)

FRC

I agree with your dice rolling/throwing answer, but I'd just like to add a little something. Generally speaking, throwing means that something is sent through the air and rolling, that it is propelled along the surface.
:wink:

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
Also, throw can be overarm (your arm goes above the level of your shoulder), whereas roll can only be underarm (your arm does not go higher than shoulder level). ;)

S

Susie Smith

shane said:
Also, throw can be overarm (your arm goes above the level of your shoulder), whereas roll can only be underarm (your arm does not go higher than shoulder level). ;)

Right. :)

Rolling stones gather no moss.

Francois

Note that you also roll a joint before smoking it, and you throw it away once you're done. Some people say this makes them roll on the floor laughing for whatever reason, while others claim this is just good for throwing up. They even bake rolls with pot, which can throw you in space for hours. But don't rush to Walmart yet; there is no plan to roll them out in the near future.

FRC

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Francois said:
Note that you also roll a joint before smoking it, and you throw it away once you're done. Some people say this makes them roll on the floor laughing for whatever reason, while others claim this is just good for throwing up. They even bake rolls with pot, which can throw you in space for hours. But don't rush to Walmart yet; there is no plan to roll them out in the near future.

FRC

Ooh. Nice one, FRC. :D 8) What about?

roll your eyes :roll: (upward and downward movements) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.