tired of X tired from

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Once, I read somewhere that there is a difference between "tired of" X "tired from", but I can´t find this in any dictionary or grammar. Can anyohe help me? (And please, indicate the source, where I can find this)

e.g:
a. Anna is tired of doing her homework. [She no longer wants to do her homework. She is bored of doing homework.]

b. Anna is tired from doing her homework. [She feels physically exhausted from doing her homework.]

henry

Andréa said:
Once, I read somewhere that there is a difference between "tired of" X "tired from", but I can´t find this in any dictionary or grammar. Can anyohe help me? (And please, indicate the source, where I can find this)

e.g:
a. Anna is tired of doing her homework. [She no longer wants to do her homework. She is bored of doing homework.]

b. Anna is tired from doing her homework. [She feels physically exhausted from doing her homework.]

Look at the definition, especially the underlined ones;

Main Entry: 1tire
Pronunciation: 'tIr
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): tired; tir·ing

intransitive senses : to become weary

transitive senses
1 : to exhaust or greatly decrease the physical strength of : FATIGUE
2 : to wear out the patience of : BORE

Hope that helps. :D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Andréa said:

e.g:

Yes, there is a difference and your examples and explanations are correct. "To tire of" is to become bored with. "To tire from" is to be exhausted by.

Status
Not open for further replies.