Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Teachers, as I know, the word "to" is always followed by a basic verb. For example, My teacher asked me to clean the classroom yesterday. But why is the word "to" followed by a gerund in the sentence " I am looking forward to seeing you again." Thank you

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this sentence, 'to' is part of the phrasal verb 'look forward to' , and is followed by some kind of noun object. 'Seeing' as a gerund fills the role of a noun object in this sentence.

Your example of 'to + basic verb' is called an infinitive. Certain verbs (such as 'ask') require an infinitive as you mention.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Teachers, as I know, the word "to" is always followed by a basic verb.
By the way, "as I know" is a common error made by Chinese speakers when attempting to translate the Chinese phrase 據我所知 ("according to what I know"). In English, we don't say "as I know" in this context. Better translations include "I understand that", "as far as I know", and "to my knowledge".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Teachers, as I know, the word "to" is always followed by a basic verb.

By the way, "as I know" is a common error made by Chinese speakers when attempting to translate the Chinese phrase 據我所知 ("according to what I know"). In English, we don't say "as I know" in this context. Better translations include "I understand that", "as far as I know", and "to my knowledge".
Google Translate offers "as far as I know", which would work well in the quoted sentence.

Mike12345, "as I know" is not a complete expression. It needs the first two words cited above.

Status
Not open for further replies.