Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Which is the best way to express the following sentence in English? I also ask your help for the second sentence in subjunctive present. Is it OK?

Who talks is an aged man who has turned 80 and very active :

1) "I don't want to hear about retirement. The day I be retired will be the day I be dead.
2) "I don't want to hear talking about retirement. The day I be retired will be the day I be dead.

Perhaps is there any other way to say the same and in a more suitable and English-sounding way?

Thanks a lot :-D:up:

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Which is the best way to express the following sentence in English? I also ask your help for the second sentence in subjunctive present. Is it OK?

The person speaking is an aged man who has turned 80 and very active :

1) "I don't want to hear about retirement. The day I am / have retired will be the day I am dead.
2) "I don't want to hear talk about retirement. The day I am retired will be the day I am dead.

Perhaps is there any other way to say the same and in a more suitable and English-sounding way?

Thanks a lot :-D:up:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Not really. The sentences were just right for what the person wanted to express:

"Don't talk about retirement. I'll work until I die."

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Many Thanks, but let me ask you for a Grammar doubt.
1) "be", as I've put it, wouldn't be correct at all, or simply it's a demodée way to express the subjunctive idea?

2) Why "hear talk" and not "hear talking."? I thought gerund was good when expressing activity.

Thank You for your attention. :up:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"talk" is a noun in this sentence. There is "girl talk", "guy talk" "car talk", "work talk", etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.