Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for the clear example again, Mike.

(case a: ",conj (b)" included)
There is deep suspicion that government is the natural enemy of freedom, even if it is elected by the people.

The truth is that a person of seventy is a totally different person than a person of twenty ,and a comparison or their intellect is impractical.

(case b: ",conj (b)" excluded)
I have a deep suspicion that government is the natural enemy of freedom, even if others disagree with me.

The truth is that I was home alone on Saturday night, and I hope you believe that.

Now, which case is more common, "case a" or "case b"?

When I asked tdol:
Taka said:
Is it possible to generalize that if there is a "....that (a), conj (b)" construction, conj (b) is always included in the "that-clause"? Or, do you think it depends on the content?

then he said:
tdol said:
Off-hand, I'd probably say we could,

So I thought "case a" was more usual. But it seems like you are saying that "case a" and "case b" would equally appear in English, depending on the content.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Included
There is deep suspicion that government, even if it is elected by the people, is the natural enemy of freedom.

All the best, :D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
Thank you for the clear example again, Mike.

(case a: ",conj (b)" included)
There is deep suspicion that government is the natural enemy of freedom, even if it is elected by the people.

The truth is that a person of seventy is a totally different person than a person of twenty ,and a comparison or their intellect is impractical.

(case b: ",conj (b)" excluded)
I have a deep suspicion that government is the natural enemy of freedom, even if others disagree with me.

The truth is that I was home alone on Saturday night, and I hope you believe that.

Now, which case is more common, "case a" or "case b"?

When I asked tdol:
Taka said:
Is it possible to generalize that if there is a "....that (a), conj (b)" construction, conj (b) is always included in the "that-clause"? Or, do you think it depends on the content?

then he said:
tdol said:
Off-hand, I'd probably say we could,

So I thought "case a" was more usual. But it seems like you are saying that "case a" and "case b" would equally appear in English, depending on the content.

I don't think I can give you statistics on frequency. My guess is that the "included" form is more common, simply because one would have a tendency to end the thought when one reaches the end of the noun clause -- wherever that end occurs. :wink:

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
MikeNewYork said:
I don't think I can give you statistics on frequency. My guess is that the "included" form is more common, simply because one would have a tendency to end the thought when one reaches the end of the noun clause -- wherever that end occurs.

I learned here in Japan that a comma is usually put to end the thought and to start new thought. Is it not necessary true?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be true, but there will be plenty of cases where it is not true.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
MikeNewYork said:
I don't think I can give you statistics on frequency. My guess is that the "included" form is more common, simply because one would have a tendency to end the thought when one reaches the end of the noun clause -- wherever that end occurs.

I learned here in Japan that a comma is usually put to end the thought and to start new thought. Is it not necessary true?

Commas are used for many things. Sometimes, they indicate a natural or obligatory pause. At other times, they are there for purely grammatical reasons. One could say that a compound sentence (with two independent clauses) is two thoughts, but one could also see it as one thought with two pieces.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:

MikeNewYork said:
Commas are used for many things. Sometimes, they indicate a natural or obligatory pause. At other times, they are there for purely grammatical reasons. One could say that a compound sentence (with two independent clauses) is two thoughts, but one could also see it as one thought with two pieces.

OK. I understand.

Thank you, teachears! I really enjoy learning English here!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
tdol said:

MikeNewYork said:

OK. I understand.

Thank you, teachears! I really enjoy learning English here!

Not half as much as we enjoy your questions. :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You do ask very interesting questions. Thanks. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.