Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Today my internet was not working. I called the internet provider. He told me that there was no electricity there. The electricity had been off since 4 AM and they had run out of back up as well. I waited for the internet to be back online. It wasn't back online for long.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
All the sentences are grammatically correct, except that it should be "backup" (a single word, a noun), not "back up" (a verb).

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
All the sentences are grammatically correct, except that it should be "backup" (a single word, a noun), not "back up" (a verb).

Can I say "The internet doesn't come back online"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't make sense in the present tense unless you are describing a habitual/regular action.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Today my internet was not working. I called the internet provider. He told me that there was no electricity there. The electricity had been off since 4 AM and they had run out of back up as well. I waited for the internet to be back online. It wasn't back online for long.

Do you mean it came back on but didn't stay on for long?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the internet is not back online [STRIKE]until[/STRIKE] by [STRIKE]two[/STRIKE] 2pm, I will go out.

See above. I don't see what that has to do with your original paragraph.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do you mean it came back on but didn't stay on for long?

Can we say "It comes or came back on"? I waited yesterday but the internet didn't come back on until 10 PM."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can we say "It comes or came back on"?
Saying "It comes or came back on" doesn't make sense. You are suggesting that someone says all six of those words in that order. There is no context in which that would be correct.

"I waited yesterday but the internet didn't come back on until 10 PM."
That's OK but the fact that you waited isn't really relevant. The internet wouldn't have come back on until 10pm whether you were waiting or not! Did you mean something like "I stayed at home all day [waiting for the internet to come back on] - it finally came on at 10pm"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can we say "It comes or came back on"? I waited yesterday but the internet didn't come back on until 10 PM."

I am going to guess that it stayed on since you didn't say it went off. (It is bad form to answer a question with a question.)

As for your question, say it came on. That's the only one that works in this context.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am going to guess that it stayed on since you didn't say it went off. (It is bad form to answer a question with a question.)

As for your question, say it came on. That's the only one that works in this context.

Can we say "The internet went off at 10 AM and cam back on at 12 PM"?

Status
Not open for further replies.