translations

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abrilsp

One question to all the teachers and experts, is translation a good way to improve your English?

Thanks a lot and congratulations on this helpful forum,

abrilsp

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't really know if translations help in improving one's English. It is an interesting exercise tho to translate something from English to another language and back again and see what happens. :wink:

M

Masfer

re

I think translation is not a very good method.
I've suffered this kind of exercises and I belive they're boring and not worth doing.
Besides, if you do a lot of translations, people will tend to translate everything from [put a language here] to English, and they will try to do so when speaking, writing and reading ... maybe involuntarily :?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: re

Say: "I've suffered from that kind of exercise" or "I've suffered from those kinds of exercises."

I think the goal of language learning is to be able to think in the language you are studying. Translation does not particularly help with that, I think.

:)

A

abrilsp

I agree with what you have said, but what about when you want to work as a translator? If your English is far from being perfect, in order to improve it, translating might help in both ways.

M

Masfer

abrilsp said:
I agree with what you have said, but what about when you want to work as a translator? If your English is far from being perfect, in order to improve it, translating might help in both ways.

It may be helpful if you're going to work as a translator but I'm still reluctant about translations. I think there are better ways of improving one's English.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Translation does help you wrestle with language. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.