Tree diagram for abiguous sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.

triki

Member Type
Other
Hello! I have a doubt. This sentece "They found him a good secretary" is ambiguous and I need to analyze it into two different ways. Could you please help me? Thank you

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
I don't really know if this will help because the only ambiguity I could find lies in its elliptical construction

thus you could either take

"They found him a good secretary"

in the sense of "They found a good secretary for him "
or
implying that "They found him to be a good secretary"

Niamh71

Member Type
English Teacher
Don't know whether you'll see this but my thinking on the ambiguity is this.

For the meaning of 'the secretary they found for him was a good one', I wondered if 'him' is the indirect object with 'a good secretary' being the direct Object.

For the meaning 'he was a good secretary' I thought perhaps 'him' is the Object with 'a good secretary' being an NP functioning as a Complement.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello! I have a doubt. This sentece "They found him a good secretary" is ambiguous and I need to analyze it into two different ways. Could you please help me? Thank you
***NOT A TEACHER***triki, good morning. Your question is very interesting. May I give you my input? (1) They (subject) + found + him (indirect object) + a good secretary (direct object). *** (2) They (subject) + found + him to be a good secretary (infinitive phrase used as object of the verb; "him" is so-called subject of the infinitive). = We discovered (that) he was a good secretary. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.